COURSE OVERVIEW -- Click here for COURSE SAMPLE
. This sample video includes information on all three Pipelayer Installation Training chapters.
SAVE: Also available for purchase as a library of all 3 chapters as low as $129/month for up to 10 trainees. -- Click here for more information
Pipe laying is a competitive, high-production business. An efficient crew can help your company to win more bids and get more jobs. To reach this level of performance, teamwork is critical.
The Pipe Layer Installation training program from VISTA and the National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA) covers the fundamentals of water and sewer pipe installation using modern equipment and technologies. These programs can help your crews to work together safely and productively.
The curriculum includes THREE chapters of online training:
• Chapter 1: Job Layout
• Chapter 2: Excavation, Trenching, Manholes & Backfilling
• Chapter 3: Working With Pipe
This course is Chapter 2 - Excavation, Trenching, Manholes & Backfilling. See the other two chapter descriptions for details of what they include.
Chapter 2 - Excavation, Trenching, Manholes & Backfilling
This program covers important information regarding trenching, bedding, backfilling, manholes, dewatering, and tie-ins. Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Describe daily requirements and safety aspects.
• Describe how to protect the trench.
• Describe the basics of trenching.
• Describe bedding types and preparation.
• Describe how to work with backfill.
• Describe working with manholes.
• Describe dewatering considerations.
• Describe tie-in considerations.
Lesson 1: Safety
• Discussion of the importance of safety.
• Description of personal protective equipment.
• Description of daily requirements, including inspections.
• Description of the competent person role and responsibilities.
• Description of safety while working near utilities.
• Description of safety while working near trenches.
• Description of protecting the trench.
• Discussion of the importance of communication.
• Description of danger zones.
Lesson 2: Trenching
• Description of the basics of trenching.
Lesson 3: Bedding
• Overview of bedding preparation.
• Description bedding types.
Lesson 4: Backfilling
• Description of backfill material.
• Description of backfill placement.
• Description of backfill compaction.
• Description of lifts.
• Explanation for the need of a drainage plan.
• Description of pipe bellies.
Lesson 5: Manholes
• Description of considerations needed when building manholes, including placement, components, installation, and confined space hazards, ventilation, and rescue.
Lesson 6: Dewatering
• Description of the fundamentals of dealing with groundwater.
• Explanation of using pumps.
Lesson 7: Tie-ins
• Discussion of basic considerations when using tie-ins, including water shutoffs, surveying the area, planning, installation, testing, compaction, and marking the service line.
Final Exam – 14 question exam with incorrect response feedback
Chapter 2 Course Specifications:
Estimated length of training program: 60 – 90 minutes + final test
Number of test questions: 14
Printable Certificate of Completion: Yes, with person's name, date, and test score
Final Exam Feedback report: Yes
Trainers: Before you begin classroom or field training, why not provide your trainees with a solid foundation of knowledge about the equipment and how to work with it safely? This e-learning training course can be delivered anytime, anywhere you have access to a high-speed internet connection.
Immediate online delivery for one person - viewable for up to 60 days