COURSE OVERVIEW -- Click here for COURSE SAMPLE
. This sample video includes information on all three Pipelayer Installation Training chapters.
SAVE $: Also available for purchase as a library of all 3 chapters as low as $129/month for up to 10 trainees. -- Click here for more information
Pipe laying is a competitive, high-production business. An efficient crew can help your company to win more bids and get more jobs. To reach this level of performance, teamwork is critical.
The Pipe Layer Installation training program from VISTA and the National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA) covers the fundamentals of water and sewer pipe installation using modern equipment and technologies. These programs can help your crews to work together safely and productively.
The curriculum includes THREE chapters of online training:
• Chapter 1: Job Layout
• Chapter 2: Excavation, Trenching, Manholes & Backfilling
• Chapter 3: Working With Pipe
This course is Chapter 1 - Job Layout. See the other two chapter descriptions for details of what they include.
CHAPTER 1 – JOB LAYOUT
This program covers overall safety issues, job site layout, material handling, and protecting the pipe installation. Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Describe crew member roles and responsibilities.
• Understand jobsite safety, including working near utilities and on roadways.
• Explain the importance of working efficiently and productively.
• Explain how to handle spoil, topsoil, and other materials.
• Explain how to work with pipe, specials, and rigging.
• Describe job layout considerations.
• Explain why good working habits and planning for the job are important.
• Explain what to do at the end of the shift.
Lesson 1: Introduction
• Introduction to the Chapter 1 Pipelayer Installation training program.
Lesson 2: Overview
• Explanation of job layout.
• Description of crew members and their responsibilities.
Lesson 3: Safety
• Explanation of safety factors when working near underground and overhead utilities.
• Discussion of road traffic safety and the use of signage, flagmen, and barricades.
• Discussion of jobsite traffic.
• Explanation of importance of keeping pedestrians away from the jobsite.
Lesson 4: Material Layout and Handling
• Description of efficiency and profit verses cost.
• Description of how to handle spoil, topsoil, and other materials.
• Overview of working with pipe, specials, and rigging.
• Description of how to create a processing area.
• Overview of equipment efficiency and safety.
• Description of material storage considerations.
• Description of environmental protection.
• Discussion of job layout considerations (work area and efficiency).
Lesson 5: Production and Timing
• Explanation how good working habits and planning lead to productivity and efficiency.
Lesson 6: Tools
• Discussion of the importance of keeping tools organized and inspected.
Lesson 7: Protecting the Installation
• Description of the steps to take at the end of a shift in order to protect the work that was completed during that shift.
Final Exam – 9 question exam with incorrect response feedback
Chapter 1 Course Specifications:
Estimated length of training program: 60 – 90 minutes + final test
Number of test questions: 9
Printable Certificate of Completion: Yes, with person's name, date, and test score
Final Exam Feedback report: Yes
Trainers: Before you begin classroom or field training, why not provide your trainees with a solid foundation of knowledge about the equipment and how to work with it safely? This e-learning training course can be delivered anytime, anywhere you have access to a high-speed internet connection.
Immediate online delivery for one person - viewable for up to 60 days.
Note for Pipelayer Library customers - Courses don't expire as long as subscription is kept active (12 month minimum). Provides self-study for 1-10 people (more available) or trainer can project onto a screen for classroom training (~1-2 hours of training per chapter - 12-month minimum library includes 3 chapters plus a bonus excavation safety course).